Treat Your Valentine To A Luxurious Flourless Chocolate Cake
8 Large eggs, chilled
1 Pound bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped coarse
16 T unsalted butter, cut into 1/2” pieces
¼ C strong brewed coffee, room temperature (I use instant espresso)
Confectioners’ sugar or cocoa
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and heat oven to 325°. Butter bottom of 8” springform pan, line with parchment paper, then butter sides. Wrap outside of pan with tow 18” square piece of aluminum foil; set in roasting pan. Bring a kettle of water to boil.
2. Using stand mixer fitted with a whisk, whip eggs on medium speed until doubled in volume, about 5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, melt chocolate with butter and coffee in large heatproof bowl set over saucepan filled with 1” of barely simmering water, stirring once or twice until smooth and very warm. Using large rubber spatula, fold 1/3 of the egg foam into chocolate mixture until few streaks of eff are visible. Fold in remaining foam in 2 additions until mixture is totally consistent.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth top with rubber spatula. Ste roasting pan on oven rack and pour enough boiling water into roasting pan to come about halfway up sides of springform pan. Bake until the cake has risen slightly, edges are just beginning to set, thin glazed crust (like a brownie crust) as formed on surface, and cate registers 140°, 22-25 minutes. Remove cake pan from water bath and set on wire rack; let cool to room temperature, cover and refrigerate overnight up to 4 days.
5. About 30 minutes before serving, run thin knife between cake and sides of pan’ remove sides of pan. Invert cake onto sheet of waxed paper, discard parchment, and turn cake right side up onto serving platter Dust with Confectioners’ sugar or coca if using, and serve. Enjoy!
Source - The Cook’s Illustrated